Monday, December 27, 2010

Gaming Romance

I witnessed an amazing thing this week.  My wife of nearly 18 years seemingly addicted to a series of video games on the kids new iPod touches.  I have known Amy for almost 26 years and I have never seen her check out and go to planet "Rock Band" or planet "Fruit Ninja".

I fell asleep to the sound of Lynard Skinnard and Rolling Stones and dreamt of psychadelic eggnog parties. While she levelled through the wee hours of the night I fell asleep only to find her rooted to the couch in her pajamas the next day on to a new found passion of "Traffic Rush Hour".

Now, it seems to me that history has a way of repeating itself, only the tables have turned here.  Usually one would expect to find me wasting hours on end playing mind numbing electronic devices and depriving myself of a good nights sleep but this time it's different.

I remember the nights of Halo, Madden, Donkey Kong and yes... I will say it, World of Warcraft.  But those days are gone.  At least those long nights are.  I learned through experience that a good nights sleep is much more valuable than reaching level 80 on my Undead Death Knight.

Now don't get me wrong.  I am not criticizing my wonderful wife for her most recent behavior.  On the contrary; I have a new found respect for her.  Even a deepend affection and love for her and this because at last, she has revealed her inner Geek that I knew was always there!

Ah, be still my beating heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment