Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Rear View Mirror and Eyes on the Road


It's amazing what a picture can do to stir memories. Whom ever coined the phrase, "A picture is worth a thousand words", was right on the money.

This was taken in the 80's sometime in one of those photo booths at the mall, or some random location.  I am pretty sure Amy and I were in a tickle fight and I was dominating!  We still have those every once in a while and I still am the champion, although her tickling turns a bit more aggressive to gain the upper hand.  I usually walk away with a stinging scratch and she ends up in the bathroom before it's too late.

As another year comes to a close I find myself thinking about the past and the future.  I look through the photos and wonder where in the world time has gone.  Amy and I met when we were 14 years old... freshmen in high school at Jordan.  Now I see Hannah at 13 and realize, come Saturday, New Years Day, that she will be 14 in 2011.


I still remember the day of her birth.  I couldn't have been more proud; or emotional!  The same with all of the kids.  Fatherhood is a glorious adventure.  She has danced for years and participated in soccer.  Most recently she made a difficult decision to give up dance and go for it in soccer.  I wish her all the best and am looking forward to spending lots of time working with her in the back yard and going for runs.... heaven knows I could use it too!

Then there is our little athlete Joey.  Named after his grandpa Don, Joey has truly amazed all of his family with his athletic, and God given mind you, talents.  There pretty much isn't anything this kid can't do if he wants to when it comes to sports.  He loves this picture.  He says he looks like a general leading his troops into battle.  This was a big game against Bingham, the arch rival of Alta.  I can't begin to tell you how many life lessons this kid is learning through sports.  Particularly football.  He has big dreams, and we encourage them, all the while reminding him of the percentage of kids that actually make it pro... in any sport.  I just want him to be a decent father and husband, and contribute to his community.  Good enough for me.


And then there is our little Benny Boy.  Joey's proverbial shadow.  I have so much fun watching these two interact (except for when they are arguing about something).  Ben wants to be and do everything that Joey is and does.  I remember being the little brother.... still do.  I followed my two older brothers around everywhere I could.  They taught me lots of things.  It's funny... Joey would never admit it but I know he looks up to Hannah and wishes he could be like her in many ways too.

It's hard to believe that Ben is in Kindergarten now.  He is one of the best readers in all of Kindergarten at his school... naturally.  We don't push him to read and never have.  He is just a good student and loves to learn.  He has an amazing imagination and is so funny.  I hope he keeps his blonde hair his whole life.  I love it.  But if he is anything like I was, it will fade away... in color and existence!  Hopefully the pattern holds true that you follow your mother's father's hair gene.  If that's the case, my boys are set.  Don had the thickest head of hair you have ever seen.

Well, who knows what 2011 will bring.  It's always an adventure.  We are looking forward to spending time together again as a family and going through life's ups and downs.

Here's to my family - I love you all.  And here's to 2011 - Bring it on Father Time.... bring it on.




No comments:

Post a Comment